From J. B. Walker to H. Ling Roth concerning tribe divisions and weapons. He sends answers to Roth's queries about Bonwick's book [James Bonwick (1817-1906), Australian educationist and author] and his own and Beattie's notes on the "flint quarry", together with some photos of Derwent Valley and a Tasmanian tree [it is possible these are the photos in HLR/2/2/]. Walker has been researching tribal divisions but has found little information. He considers that Tylor's view that the Tasmanians are representatives of "Paleolithic Man" who used 'flat shields' and 'nets", is "quite wrong".
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 HLR/1/1/14
- Dates of Creation27 Mar 1897
- Physical Description1 sheet