Eight volumes of the correspondence, despatches and journals of Sir Archibald Alison, with later annotations by his family. The volumes include papers relating to the Crimean War, 1853-6, the Indian Mutiny, 1857-8, the Ashanti War, 1873-4, and Egypt.
Papers of Sir Archibald Alison
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 448-52, d. 419-20, e. 151
- Dates of Creation1849-1916
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description8 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Archibald Alison, 2nd Baronet (1826-1907) was a general. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were given to the Library in 1977.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.