Music, artwork, writings and other output of Thomas Pitfield covering virtually his entire creative life. Also correspondence and photographs.
Thomas Pitfield Collections
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1179 TP
- Dates of Creation1903-2000
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description13 series; approx. 570 individual files/items. Chiefly works on paper, but also three-dimensional works in wood and other materials, and bindings in leather. Some photographic materials.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Pitfield was born Apr 5 1903 in Bolton, and worked in engineering on leaving school in 1917. In 1924 he entered the Royal Manchester College of Music for a year. He taught at Tettenhall College from 1935-1945, becoming composition tutor at the RMCM in 1947 and latterly the RNCM, retiring in 1973.
His numerous compositions included works for orchestra, brass band, chamber ensembles, piano solo, and choral.
He married Alice Astbury, a fellow student at the RMCM, on December 26 1934, and died in 1999.
Order imposed in 13 series, as follows:
- Art on paper
- Three-dimensional art/crafts
- Scrapbooks and other items collected for reference
- Early education and other related material
- Reviews, programmes and exhibitions of work
- Alice Pitfield
- Miscellaneous items
Conditions Governing Access
Open for consultation.
Description by M Sarah Wickham.
Other Finding Aids
Royal Northern College of Music Archive catalogue (CALM).
Alternative Form Available
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright The Pitfield Trust.
Much material was apparently destroyed by Pitfield during the late 1990s, at the instigation of his wife.
Donated by Alice Pitfield, 2000.
None expected, although additional items particularly musical MS may re-appear from publishers.
An interim catalogue of the music of Thomas Pitfield, including details of first performances and publication (where known), has been compiled by John Turner and is published in Manchester Sounds 2004 : pp.147-183. This catalogue also includes a discography.