- School notes and exercise books 1907-1908
- University of Glasgow lecture notes: Mining 1910-1913, Electricity 1910-1911, Natural Philosophy 1910-1911, Chemistry 1910-1911, Engineering 1911-1913, Geometry 1911-1912, Geology 1911-1913, Engineering experiments (illustrated) 1912-1913, Metallurgy 1912-1913
- Glasgow & West of Scotland Agricultural College lecture notes : Electrical Engineering 1914-1915, Mining and Surveying 1914-1915
- University of Glasgow matriculation cards and class tickets 1910-1913
- Alexander Morrison Electricity and Magnetism lecture notes 1909
Papers of Andrew Ramsay Bain, science graduate of the University of Glasgow, 1892-1976
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Andrew Ramsay Bain was born on 3 November 1892 at Balquhalston Cottage in the parish of Slamannan, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He was a pupil at Dollar Institution until 1910 when he matriculated at the University of Glasgow , joining the Faculty of Science. In his first year he studied Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, Chemistry and Mining. In his second year he studied English, Mining, Drawing, Geology and Mineralogy. His third year subjects were Electrical Engineering, Mining, Geology and Metallurgy. He graduated BSc in 1913 and subsequently enrolled at the Glasgow & West of Scotland Technical College, in order to study for the First Class (Managers) Certificate before embarking on a career as a mining engineer.
He served during the First World War with the 7th Battallion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders rising to the rank of Colonel, and was awarded the Military Cross.
In 1957 he was appointed Sheriff Substitute for Stirlingshire, wad Deputy Lieutenant, Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire and a Past Master of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30. He was also President of Stirling District & County Savings Bank, member of the Stirlingshire Territorial and Auxilliary Forces Association and on the management of Simpson's Home at Plean.
He was unmarried and died at his home, The Whins , Stirling in May 1976.
The material is arranged into series as shown in the scope and content. Within series items are generally arranged chronologically
Conditions Governing Access
Deposit : Hill & Robb : June 1976.
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Held by Hill & Robb, solicitors, Stirling, executors of Andrew Ramsay Bain
No known publications using this material
This material is original