Typescript autobiography and papers relating to service as a customs officerin India, Kenya, Tanganyika, Uganda, Zanzibar, Somaliland and Aden, 1933-1965.
Papers of Patrick Brian Sweeney
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.brit.emp.s.518
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 518
- Dates of Creation1933-1965
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 volume, 1 box
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Patrick Brian Sweeney (fl 1914-1962) worked in the Indian Customs Service,1933-1949 (though the Second World War saw him serve as captain, 1941-1945). He became Collector, East Africa Customs and Excise, 1949, Assistant Comptroller, Customs and Excise, Zanzibar, 1956, and Comptroller, Somalia.He worked as Advisor on Customs, Aden, from 1960, and Collector, Customs andExcise, from 1962.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 622 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford,Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.