Comprises a copy of Basia Joannis Secundi Nicolai Hagensis: or the kisses of Joannes Secundus Nicolaius of the Hague, in Latin and English verse, London, 1731, with ten English love poems by Thomas Tooly (eight) and John Ellis (two) inserted. The English poems include imitations of eight of Secundus's Basia, namely, numbers 3-6, 11, 13, 15, and 17.
Translations by Thomas Tooly and John Ellis of some of the Basia or Kisses of Joannes Secundus, inserted on additional leaves into a printed edition of 1731
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmslt88
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 88
- Dates of Creationca. 1731?
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin
- Physical Description1 vol. (xxxvi, [ii], 98 pp.), printed book, with 7 ff. of manuscript inserted. Finely bound in green morocco with gilt tooling on both outside covers and the spine, which bears the embossed title BASIA SECUNDI, and with fine marbling on both inside covers and endpapers; also, printed bookplates, including one on the inside front cover bearing the arms and name of a previous owner, namely, Hugh Reveley, L.L.B. of Christ Church Oxford. The format is duodecimo. The inserted manuscript leaves are written in a single eighteenth-century hand.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Thomas Tooly (1688-1758) was a poet. John Ellis (1698-1790) was a scrivener and political writer, a member of Dr Johnson's circle.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from J. and L. Hannas on 4 October 1957.
In English and Latin.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt88
At one time in the possession of Hugh Reveley, of Christ Church, Oxford