The bundle contains correspondence relating to an offer by the Government, communicated in a letter to George Harry Grey (1737-1819), 5th Earl of Stamford, to provide firearms for half the members of local volunteer corps. Lord Stamford offered to apply for pikes for the remaining members. Several corps opted to supply the shortfall of firearms at their own expense.
Bundle of Papers re Arming Volunteer Corps
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 EGR4/1/2/35
- Dates of CreationSep 1803
- Physical Description18 pieces.
Scope and Content
All pieces were received from Dunham Massey Hall on 12 September 1978; provenance: roll-top cupboard in Secretary's Room.