The journals give detailed descriptions, observations and opinions of many towns and buildings throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
Journals of Richard Chiswell the Younger and Trench Chiswell, 1696-1796
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.don.c.181-2,d.193-4,e.169;eng.e.2403-8
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Don. c. 181-2, d. 193-4, e. 169; Eng. e. 2403-8
- Dates of Creation1696-1796
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description11 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Richard Chiswell the Younger (1673-1751) was a Turkey merchant and traveller. His grandson was Trench Chiswell (1735?-1797), merchant and antiquary. Details for both are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The journals were acquired from D.P. White in 1991.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A catalogue of the collection is available online at http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollectionswmss/online/online.htm.