The papers consist of:
1. Papers of Bishop Hurd
3 bound commonplace books compiled by Hurd from 1744, using the indexing system devised by Locke.
22 bound vols (in 23) containing correspondence and other documents, mainly of Hurd's but including some material which almost certainly came from Warburton. Contents as follows:
- Vol. 1. Material on Brewood School.
- Vol. 2 Emmanuel College Cambridge
- Vol. 3. Lincoln's Inn
- Vol. 4( i-ii). William Mason
- Vol 5. Thomas Gray (including an epitaph by Mason in Gray hand)
- Vol 6. Correspondence with Bishops
- Vol. 7. Lord Mansfield
- Vol. 8. Thomas Balguy, Dean of Winchester
- Vol. 9. Portraits, details of those at the castle
- Vol. 10 . Dr Ogden of St John's College Cambridge and the Rev. David Ball
- Vol. 11 Dr William Heberden
- Vol. 12. Copies of letters from George III, Queen Charlotte, Prince Frederick, Princess Augusta.
- Vol 13. Rev William Arnald
- Vol 14. Plans of study for the princes, 1776-8
- Vol 15. Prof. Michaelis, Prof Heyne, General Freytag and General Bude
- Vol. 16. Warburton, Locke and Clarendon, with details of Warburton's will and list of his papers, a letter from his widow and a copy of a letter to Pope
- Vol. 17. Letters about the monument to Joseph Addison and Hurd's notes on him
- Vol 18 Edward Gibbon, including an anonymous letter to Hurd from him
- Vol. 19. Letters of eminent persons, including John Tillotson, 1677, Joseph Addison 1705, Ambrose Philips, 1733
- Vol. 20. Various letters 1759-1805, including Richard Hurd jr, Lord North, Duke of Montagu and Lord Bruce
- Vol. 21 Letters of condolence to Richard Hurd jr, 1808, with some on the cathedral monument to Hurd and one from the artist James Ross on the hatchment
- Vol 22. Fees and expenses, Lichfield and Coventry 1775, Worcester 1781.
4 bound inventories of the contents of Hartlebury Castle and the Palace in Worcester
6 bound vols compiled by Hurd ("Dates of some occurrences in my own life", "On the peace of Aix la Chapelle, 1748." Gloucester Archdeaconry, "Accounts of Folkton, "A compendium of architecture", and "Archdeaconry of Gloucester and Rectory of Dursley", "Hurd's will; various deeds relating to property; miscellaneous letters and sermons.
Manuscript catalogues of the library:
- 1783. Done by John Woodyer. 1 vol, classical only
- 1789. Anonymous. 2 vols, classical and alpahabetical.
- 1909. Done by James Darby.1 vol, with classical and alphabetical lists.
- 1819. Catalogue by Richard Hurd jr of his books in the library at the old palace. 2 copies (draft and fair copy)
- 1844. Alphabetical catalogue of the books brought from the old palace to Hartlebury. Anonymous
- 1980 Author catalogue by Graham Cartwright. 2 vols
Hurd's will. Documents relating to property.
2. Papers of Richard Hurd jr.
6 bound vols ("A Royal visit to Hartlebury",1788, 2 copies), "Anecdotes of Bishop Hurd", "The last illness of Bishop Richard Hurd", "Executor's account 1808", "Account book of Richard Hurd junior".
Manuscript catalogues of Richard Hurd jr's library, removed to Hartlebury from the palace in Worcester in 1844.