Ottoman Turkish and Turkish manuscripts, 12th-19th century, including manuscripts of Divan poetry.
Miscellaneous Turkish manuscripts in the Bodleian Library
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.turk.a.2-5(r),b.1,2-4(r),c.1-7,8-11(r),12-13,d.1-30,31-2(r),33-52,e.1-61,62-4(r),65-85,86-7(r),88-112,f.1-8,g.1(r)
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Turk. a.2-5 (R), b. 1, 2-4 (R), c. 1-7, 8-11 (R), 12-13, d. 1-30, 31-2 (R), 33-52, e. 1-61, 62-4 (R), 65-85, 86-7 (R), 88-112, f. 1-8, g. 1 (R)
- Dates of Creation12th-19th century
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialOttoman Turkish (1500-1928), and Turkish.
- Physical Description194 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Miscellaneous Turkish manuscripts from various sources.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk).
Acquired between 1698 and 1990. Over sixty of the manuscripts were purchased from Tiflis through the British Museum in May of 1923. Some fifty were purchased from Oxford booksellers J. Thornton & Son. between 1963 and 1972.
Collection level description created by Susan Thomas, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
Some of the manuscripts are summarily described in Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series, with references to the oriental and other manuscripts (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vols. II, V-VI, nos. 3597, 8736, 27604, 28779-80, 29897, 30122, 30139, 30988-94, 32009, 34026-7, 34173-4.
The manuscripts are also summarily described in the card catalogue, arranged by language, located in the Oriental Reading Room.
Gnay Kut Supplementary catalogue of Turkish manuscripts in the Bodleian Library : with reprint of the 1930 catalogue by H. Eth (Oxford, 2003).
Some manuscripts are in the second volume of E. Sachau, H. Eth and A.F.L. Beeston Catalogue of the Persian, Turkish, Hindstn, and Pusht manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, 3 vols. (Oxford, 1889-1953), vols. 1-3.