The volume contains numerous examples of deeds and legal documents, including bills, indentures of lease, bargain and sale, letters of attorney, bills of acquittance, bonds, writs, petitions and warrants. Many of the exemplars relate to Preston and elsewhere in Lancashire. Some forms are in Latin, but they are mostly in English. There is also a copy of a court roll for the manor of Woodplumpton near Preston, Lancashire, 12 Eliz. [1569-70]. Original foliation survives.
Lancashire Legal Formulary
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng MS 287
- Dates of CreationLate 16th century
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish and Latin
- Physical Description205 x 149 mm. 1 volume (ii + 94 + iii folios); Medium: paper. Binding: original limp binding of alum-tawed skin, with fore-edge flap and tying thong.
Scope and Content
The manuscript is available for consultation by any accredited reader.
Purchased by the John Rylands Library in 1915 from the London bookseller Bernard Quaritch, together with English MS 288, for £10; invoice dated 2 July 1915. Accession no. R39329.
The volume has several marks of ownership: signature of John Thompson on the turn-in of the lower cover; inscription 'John Willoughbye est verus possessor' on the turn-in of the lower cover; and signature 'Nycholas Tomsonn' on a paper binding slip. Lot no. 448 in an early 20th-century sale: the catalogue entry is enclosed loose inside the front cover.