- Trust sederunt books;
- estate papers : Bardowie Estate; Caldarvan Estate ; Gartmore Estate ; Glenreasdell Estate .
- company records for William Beardmore & Co Ltd ; Biggart & Lumsden ; Cochrane, Stout & Dunlop ; East Park Transport Ltd ; William Gibson & Co ; Fairfield Shipbuilding Co Ltd ; National Shipbuilders Security Ltd ; North British Locomotive Co Ltd ; Overnewton Building Co; Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd
- records of associations, including: British Nautical Instrument Trade Association; The Clyde Ship Plumbers’ Association; The Clyde Ship Riggers’ Association ; Committee of Scottish Rivet, Bolt and Nut Manufacturers; Dry Dock Owners' and Repairers' Insurance Association; Dry Dock Owners' and Repairers' Insurance Association ; Glasgow District Engine, Boiler and Ship Repairers' Association ; Glasgow Master Boiler & Pipe Coverers' Association ; Hillington Estates Association Minute Book; National Organisation of Welding Employers ; National Welding Employers' Association ; Queenslie and Carntyne Industrial Estate Tenants' Association ; Repairers' Liability Insurance Committee; Scottish Association of Bridge Builders and Structural Engineers; Scottish Association of Controlled Establishments; Scottish Industrial Estates Tenants' Association ; Scottish Insulating Engineers Association ; Scottish Welding Employers' Association.
Records of Biggart Baillie & Gifford, solicitors, Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 UGD 339
- Dates of Creation1693-1978
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description10.1 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Biggart, Baillie & Gifford was established in 1975 after the amalgamation of two existing firms of solicitors, Biggart, Lumsden, formerly of 105 West George Street, Glasgow, and Baillie and Gifford of Edinburgh. Biggart, Lumsden was an old and well established firm of Glasgow ‘writers’ (solicitors) which had been in operation since at least 1904. They acted for, amongst others, the engineering firm of William Beardmore & Co Ltd, the locomotive builders, North British Locomotive Co Ltd and the shipbuilding company, Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd. The company also amalgamated with Cochrane, Stout & Dunlop, formerly of 178 St Vincent Street Glasgow, c 1975.
Biggart Baillie merged with DWF of Manchester in 2012 to become DWF Biggart Baillie.
The collection is listed to the in-house standard
Conditions Governing Access
There are some restrictions on the use of the material in this collection. The records of the Caldarven Estate are closed for 25 years from 1992 and the records of Cochrane, Stout & Dunlop are closed for 50 years from 1992.
Bona fide researchers may see this material, but must obtain the permission of Biggart, Baillie & Gifford to use the information in any way.
Deposit: Biggart, Baillie & Gifford, solicitors, Glasgow: 1992
Fonds level description compiled by Alison Jasper, Archives Asssitant, 18 March 1998
Updated by Jenny Bunn, Assistant Archivist, 13 March 2000
Updated by Alma Topen, Senior Assistant Archivist (Cataloguing), 25 January 2013
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
The collection is original
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
Administrative history incomplete - post 1978 history needs to be researched.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist, or , in the above case, to Messrs Biggart, Baillie & Gifford.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
The collection is likely to remain unaltered.
Held by the company until deposit with GUAS
No known publications using this material