Contains probably the final version of the Analecta Fairfaxiana by Charles Fairfax, being his detailed history of the Fairfax and related families, including a dedication dated 1663, historical and genealogical records, accounts, and pedigrees in English and Latin, verse epitaphs likewise in English and Latin on various prominent members of the family from medieval times onwards, letters, indentures, memoranda, mottos, anagrams, coats of arms, drawings of seals, emblems, and monuments, and an index, all neatly written out, with some interlineated insertions and revisions, and with annotations by Sir Thomas Phillipps (1792-1872), especially on pp.403-406.
Analecta Fairfaxiana, A[nn]o 1660, compiled by Charles Fairfax
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Yks 2
- Dates of Creationca. 1663-1667
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin
- Physical Description1 vol. (421 pp.), folio manuscript. The majority of the text is written on vellum in a single seventeenth-century hand, Charles Fairfax's autograph, but some parts of it are written in other hands. Bound in contemporary calf with some blind tooling on both outside covers and the spine and with marbling on both inside covers and endpapers. Somewhat worn and damaged in places.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Charles Fairfax (1597-1673) was an antiquarian, genealogist and compiler of the Analecta Fairfaxiana. He was born at Denton in Yorkshire, but spent most of his life at Menston, on his wife's estate. In 1646, his brother Ferdinando, second Lord Fairfax, appointed him steward of the courts of Ripon and he later served as a colonel of foot in Monck's army. Following Monck's march into Yorkshire, Fairfax became governor of Kingston-upon-Hull, but after a year he retired to Menston to pursue his antiquarian and literary interests.
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Sotheby's sale of 14 December 1993 (Lot 489).
In English and Latin.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcyks2
Formerly in the Fairfax Library at Leeds Castle, Kent; then, in the library of Sir Thomas Phillipps, MS 10308.