Letter to Miss Greenwood thanking her for the sympathy shown on the death ofhis wife.
HYNDMAN HENRY MAYERS 1842-1921SOCIALIST
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0492B
- Dates of Creation1913
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionOne letter
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Hyndman Henry Mayers 1842-1921
Henry Mayers Hyndman was educated privately and then at Trinity CollegeCambridge. After leaving Cambridge he travelled the world, working as ajournalist, from 1866 - 1874, firstly on the Pall Mall Gazette and later onpapers in Australia, New Zealand and America. He wrote leaders for theMelbourne Argus in favour of free education in 1869.
After 1874 his main interest became politics. He founded the SocialDemocratic Federation in 1881, was a member of the Irish Land League and theCentral Executive of the Land League of Great Britain 1881 - 1884. Hedebated St James's Hall Socialism against Bradlaugh in 1884 and was an activeagitator for social reform. He was tried and acquitted at the Old Bailey forparticipating in the West End Riots.
He was an active socialist, being a delegate and chairman at theInternational Socialist Congress in London, 1896, a member of theInternational Socialist Bureau, 1900 - 1910 and a member of the movement toconstitute the National Socialist Party against anti-national socialistgroups. He stood as a Social Democratic candidate in Burnley, 1895, andcontested Burnley again in 1906 and 1910.
His publications include:
- Indian Policy and English Justice(1874)
- Bankruptcy of India(1878)
- England for All(1881)
- Historical Basis of Socialism(1883)
- Emigration Fraud Exposed(1884)
- A Commune for London(1888)
- Commercial Crises of the 19th Century(1892)
- Economics of Socialism(1896)
- The Record of an Adventurous Life(1911)
- Further Reminiscences(1912)
- The Future of Democracy(1915)
- The Awakening of Asia(1919)
- Clemenceau: The Man and His Time(1919)
- The Evolution of Revolution (1920)
- Marx Made Easy (1921)
Conditions Governing Access
University of Sussex
Other Finding Aids
No further listrequired
Conditions Governing Use