A collection of miscellaneous letters and other items, acquired by the John Rylands Library from separate sources. Material includes autograph letters of Leo Tolstoy (no. 1), the comedian George Bartley (no. 2), and the poet Charles Swain (no. 18); correspondence of the Sanskritist Arthur Coke Burnell, the editor James Sutherland Cotton and others, concerning oriental studies and the death of Burnell (nos 4-16); verses by John Watson (no. 17); and papers relating to a memorial to the astronomer Jeremiah Horrocks (nos 19-20).
Miscellaneous Autograph Letters
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng MS 740
- Dates of Creation18th to 19th Century
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description21 items.
- LocationCollection available at John Rylands Library, Deansgate.
Scope and Content
The collection is available for consultation by any accredited reader.
The items were acquired by the John Rylands Library from various sources, by gift, purchase and bequest, between 1920 and 1934.
Description compiled by Henry Sullivan and Jo Humpleby, project archivists, with reference to:
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography article on Arthur Coke Burnell.
Other Finding Aids
Catalogued in the Hand-List of the Collection of English Manuscripts in the John Rylands Library, 1928-35 (English MS 740).