The bulk of the correspondence covers the years from Graves's return to Europe from America in 1939, although family correspondence and some stray items pre-date this event. Many items of correspondence are addressed to Graves's second wife, Beryl, either jointly with Graves, or solely to her in the later years of Graves's illness and following his death.
Papers of Robert Graves: Correspondence (arranged by correspondent)
Scope and Content
Material is arranged in series by correspondent; material arranged by subject can be found in the sub-fonds RG/K.
This description is part of the Papers of Robert Graves, which has been divided into the following series, which are described in separate EAD instances:
- RG/A: Poetry
- RG/B Short stories: texts, revisions and associated papers
- RG/C: Studies of mythology, history and religion
- RG/D: Novels and novellas: texts, revisions and associated papers
- RG/E: Works of translation: texts, revisions and associated papers
- RG/F: Performing arts and film
- RG/G: Critical prose and journalism
- RG/H: Lectures and speeches
- RG/I: Diaries of Robert Graves
- RG/J: Correspondence (arranged by correspondent)
- RG/K: Correspondence (arranged by subject)
- RG/L: Press cuttings
- RG/M: Works by others: pamphlets, offprints and other materials
- RG/N: Miscellaneous
Conditions Governing Access
Contact the Librarian, St John's College, Oxford.