Manuscripts collected by Paget Toynbee, with papers and correspondence, mainly relating to Dante and to Horace Walpole.
Paget Toynbee Manuscripts
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.toynbeeb.1,c.1-2,d.1-32,e.1-7,f.1-2
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Toynbee b. 1, c. 1-2, d. 1-32, e. 1-7, f. 1-2
- Dates of Creation1876-1932
- Language of MaterialEnglish, and Italian.
- Physical Description44 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Paget Jackson Toynbee (1855-1932) was a Dante scholar. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
Some of the manuscripts were given by Toynbee, 1920-31. The rest were bequeathed by him in 1932.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55405-52.