The correspondence concerns Borchard’s financial contributions to The Wiener Library as well as an enquiry for writing an eyewitness account for the Library’s eyewitness testimony project.
Correspondence with Borchard, Lucy
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1556 3000/9/1/176
- Dates of Creation19/11/1954 - 10/07/1964
- Language of MaterialGerman English
- Physical Description7 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Lucy Borchard, nee May (1877-1969) was a Jewish-German ship owner. A trained teacher, she had married the holder of a Hamburg-based ship company. After her husband’s death in 1930 she took over the management position. Borchard eventually emigrated to England in 1938. See Walk, J., http://wiener.soutron.net/Portal/Default/en-GB/RecordView/Index/19576, Munich et. al., K. G. Saur, 1988, p. 80.