Comprises seven autograph letters from John Ruskin to his father, John James Ruskin, dated between 16 May and 4 August 1858, written from various locations during one of Ruskin's frequent European tours, and incorporating small ink sketches illustrating scenes described in the text.
Seven autograph letters from John Ruskin to his father, John James Ruskin
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-elliottcollectionmsruskin
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Elliott Collection MS Ruskin
- Dates of Creation1858
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. containing 7 letters; manuscript. The letters, which are mounted on cardboard leaves, are held in a volume bound in blue cloth, gilt-lettered on the spine, 'Ruskin MS Letters 1858', and with the bookplate of Doris L. Benz on the inside front cover.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Ruskin (1819-1900), the author, artist, and social reformer. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
The gift of Fay and Geoffrey Elliott, 2002.
Other Finding Aids
The Ruskin items, both manuscript and printed, are described in greater detail in the Library's handlist of the Fay and Geoffrey Elliott Collection (handlist 148) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/handlists/148Elliott.pdf
The Ruskin section of the Elliott Collection also contains printed items, which are catalogued separately.