Manuscript 948 is a collection of postcards made by Whitely. Manuscript 949 are personal papers of Whitely, c 1920-1991.
Papers of Opal Whiteley
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 96 MS 948, MS 949
- Dates of Creationc 1920-1991
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description19 boxes, 1 bundle
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Whitely was born in Oregan , USA in 1899. She grew up in a logging community and, needing more mental stimulation, she began writing at the age of six. Her mystical and realistic diary, The Story of Opal: The Journal of an Understanding Heart became a best-seller and is still read widely today. She died in 1991.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the items in the collection is unrestricted for the purpose of private study and personal research within the controlled environment and restrictions of the Library's Palaeography Room
2000-03-16 Joseph Gelfer