Comprises the following items: (1) Autograph letter to George Scotson-Clark ; (2) Proof copies of two grotesques, 1893; (3) Invitation card designed by Aubrey Beardsley for the opening of the Prince's Ladies Golf Club, 1894; (4) Autograph letter to Leonard Smithers , held with the printed book Aubrey Beardsley, by Arthur Symons (1898); (5) Photograph of Aubrey Beardsley taken by W.J. Hawker ; (6) Autograph letter from Ellen Beardsley to J.M. Dent , with (7) Autograph letter from J.M. Dent to Ellen Beardsley, 1896, and (8) Autograph letter from Henry Harland to J.M. Dent (n.d.).
Autograph letters and other material by Aubrey Beardsley, with other items relating to him
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Elliott Collection MS Beardsley
- Dates of Creation1892-1898
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description8 items, held in 3 boxes, 1 vol., 1 frame, and 1 folder; manuscript, photograph, and printed material. Item (1) is held in a custom-made box covered in blue cloth with gilt lettering on the spine, 'An Aubrey Beardsley letter'. (2) and (3) are both held in the same transparent plastic folder. (4) is held in a custom-made box covered in blue cloth, with gilt lettering at the bottom of the spine, 'Beardsley letter to Leonard Smithers'. (5) is held in a dark brown photograph frame. (6)-(8) are each held in a plastic envelope within a custom-made box covered in blue cloth with gilt lettering at the top of the spine, 'Ellen A. Beardsley'.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Aubrey Vincent Beardsley (1872-1898), the artist. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
The gift of Fay and Geoffrey Elliott, 2002.
Other Finding Aids
The Beardsley items, both manuscript and printed, are described in greater detail in the Library's handlist of the Fay and Geoffrey Elliott Collection (handlist 148) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/handlists/148Elliott.pdf
The Beardsley section of the Elliott Collection also contains printed items, which are catalogued separately.