Comprises letters from numerous correspondents sent to Viscount Sydney or his father, Thomas Townshend (1701-1780), concerning political affairs, together with one passport for "Lord Viscount Sydney".
Correspondence and papers of Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Townshend
- Dates of Creation1742-1807
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description206 letters and 1 passport held in 2 boxes, manuscript.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney, (1733-1800) was a statesman after whom Sydney in Australia was named. Thomas Townshend (1701-1780), the teller of the exchequer, was his father. For fuller details of their lives and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
Contents listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#townshend