United Kingdom Society of Amalgamated Smiths and Strikers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb152-mss.259/sm
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.259/SM
- Dates of Creation1918-1920
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Formed in 1886, the society amalgamated with the Amalgamated Society of Engineers and eight other unions to form the Amalgamated Engineering Union in 1920.
Reference: J.B. Jeffreys, The story of the engineers.London, 1945 (repr. 1970).
Conditions Governing Access
Access : Open.
The records have been listed as part of the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union archive. An authority file exists for the United Kingdom Society of Amalgamated Smiths and Strikers (GB 152 AAR259/SM).
The archive has been deposited in the Centre on indefinite loan by the Amalgamated Union of Engineering Workers. The first deposit consisted of fifteen boxes of early minutes collected by Richard Storey on 1st November 1984. Accruals are listed under the entry for the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union (MSS.259) .