- MS 576/12/2;MJ Despatch from Lieutenant-Governor Arthur to the Secretary of State in England, 10 April 1832 [Relating to the Adelaide and the offer by Wilsons and Hewitt's (Tasmanian merchants) to equip and send the schooner to rescue the survivors of the brig Betsey and Sophia ] microfilm
- MS 576/13/1;MJ Inward despatch from Earl Grey to Sir William Denison, Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land [Tasmania], 14 May 1847 [Regarding lease of Auckland Island to Masers Enderby for whaling, sealing and other fisheries, copy of deed of lease, copies of correspondence with Messrs Enderby] microfilm
- MS 576/12/3;MJ Outward despatch from Lieutenant-Governor Denison to Earl Grey, Secretary of State to the Colonies, 10 June 1852 [Regarding Commissioners of the Southern Whale Fishery at the Auckland Islands, correspondence between Island commissioners and Messrs Enderby] microfilm
- MS 576/13/2;MJ Inward despatches, January to March 1853 [Relating to the Southern Whale Fishery Company on the Auckland Islands] microfilm
Governors Office, dispatches
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Tasmania, Governors Office/Dispatches
- Dates of Creation1832-1853
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionCirca 10 dispatches The dispatches are on microfilm.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The dispatches relate primarily to the Southern Whale Fishery Company (1849-1852) established by Messrs Enderby on Auckland Island, to whaling and sealing vassals which called at Tasmania and other shipping matters. The collection covers the period from when George Arthur was governor through to William Denison.
Alternative Form Available
These are copies
Location of Originals
Originals held by the State Archive of Tasmania. (1982)