- University and medical career certificates, awards and honours 1895-1919;
- Publications, articles, criticisms and press created by or related to Mary Forbes Liston 1911-1977;
- Papers and testimonials relating to Mary Forbes Liston and her medical career 1899-1971;
- Family and business correspondence 1912-1970;
- Brooches of the British Medical Association meetings 1922 & 1927;
- Photographs c1910-1940.
Papers of Mary Forbes Liston OBE, 1876-1977, medical graduate and medical officer, Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 042
- Dates of Creation1895-1977
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.3 metresThere are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Mary Forbes Liston was born in 1876 in Bangalore, India. She matriculated into the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Glasgow in 1895 . In her first year she studied Chemistry, Physics and Anatomy. In her second year she studied Physiology and Practical Anatomy. Her third year subjects were Pathology, Senior Anatomy and Materia Medica. In fourth year she studied Surgery, Medicine, Midwifery and Clinical Surgery. Her final year subject was Operative Surgery. She was a distinguished student at the women's section of Glasgow University, Queen Margaret College, winning 6 prizes before she graduated MB ChB in 1900 . She worked as an Assistant Venereal Medicine Officer in Edinburgh and had several articles printed on venereal disease. Her contribution to medicine won her an OBE c1919 .
She retired from her post as a Radiologist in 1945, and died on 21 November 1977, aged 101.
The material is arranged into series as shown in the scope and content. Within series items are generally arranged chronologically
Conditions Governing Access
Deposit : family member : 1980s
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Held by the family of Mary Forbes Liston.
No known publications using this material
This material is original
Compiled by Emma Noble, archive volunteer, 25 April, 2002