Microfiche of papers of Robert Triffin (1911 - 1993). Economist, economicadviser to the OECD and the EEC European monetary policy 1969 - 1974. 'RobertTriffin, le CAEUE de Jean Monnet et les Questions Monetaires Europeennes 1969- 1974'.
TRIFFIN ROBERT 1911 - 1993ECONOMIST
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0739
- Dates of Creation1961-1976
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description34 Microfiche
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Robert Triffin 1911 - 1993.
Robert Triffin was born in Flobecq, Belgium. He was educated at Kain-lezTournai, the Catholic University of Louvain and Harvard University. He wasan Instructor at Harvard from 1939 to 1942.
In 1942 Triffin left Harvard to become the Chief of the Latin American Division ofthe government's Federal Reserve System, and changed his interests from pricetheory to monetary and banking reform. In 1946 he left to become Director ofthe Exchange Control Division of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) 1946- 1948, and chief representative in Europe 1948 - 1949. He was the SpecialPolicy Adviser to the Economic Co-operation Administration and US AlternateRepresentative to the European Payments Union 1950 - 1951.
Triffin was consultant to the UN in 1952, the Council of Economic Advisers(US) 1953 - 1954, the Organisation of European Economic Co-operation (OEEC)1957 - 1958, and the EEC 1958 - 1993 as well as heading numerous monetary andbanking reorganisation missions to Latin American countries.
In 1951 Triffin returned to academic life as Professor of Economics at YaleUniversity where he remained until his retirement in 1977. He moved back toBelgium to teach part-time at his alma mater, the Catholic university ofLouvain.
His publications include:
- Europe and the Money Muddle: From Bilateralism to Near-Convertibility 1947 -1956 (1960)
- The Evolution of the International Monetary System(1964)
- The World Money Maze: National Currencies in International Payments(1966)
- Our International Monetary System: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow(1968)
The items are arranged by date.
Other Finding Aids
Conditions Governing Use