Manuscript letterbook, 1860-1863, of George H Fitzroy whilst at Shanghai, containing copy letters to various recipients, the subjects including his personal and financial affairs, property, and employment.
Correspondence of George H Fitzroy
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 MS 258361
- Dates of Creation16 November 1860-25 May 1863
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 volume, pp. 104.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Imperial Maritime Customs (later called the Chinese Maritime Customs) collected customs duties from foreign ships at treaty ports and administered port facilities on behalf of the Chinese government. It was managed and staffed mainly by foreigners, largely British.
Purchased in 1971.