Contains six poems, including items by Pope, Gray, and Prior; also, a large collection of moral aphorisms entitled 'Seneca unmasqued'.
Commonplace-book owned by the Lewis family, including transcribed poems by Pope, Gray, and Prior
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmslt109
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 109
- Dates of Creationca. 1700-1750
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (100 ff.), manuscript. Written in two hands, dating probably from the early and mid-18th century. Ff.70-100 are blank. On the front flyleaf there are two names of owners, namely: 'Kath: Lewis' and 'Johana Lewis'. Bound in dark brown leather which is gilt embossed with decorations and gilt tooling. There is marbling on both inside covers and endpapers. The back board is detached.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compilers of this manuscript are unknown.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Heath's bookshop on 10 January 1996.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt109