Written from Liverpool. Asks if she will subscribe to the Liverpool College Magazine, which her boy Stanley edits. The subscription is only 3/6d. a year! She has been very ill the last few days with two doctors in attendance; the illness has been coming on ever since the Pontefract election (a by-election was held there in Aug 1872 in which the CD Acts became the real issue of the election resulting in rioting and violence. See pp 105-7). The Doctors say she must rest at home for not less than 3-4 weeks.
Josephine Butler to 'Dear Friend'
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 106 3JBL/06/09
- Former ReferenceGB 106 3187
- Dates of Creation24 Sep 
- Physical Description1 item
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
'The map ... was made by Georgie from minute study of Livingstone's researches'
The 2 books by Livingstone in his lifetime were:
1. Missionary travels and researches in South Africa, London 1857
2. Narrative of an expedition to the Zambesi and its tributaries and of the discoveries of the Lakes Shirwa and Nyassa 1858-1864, London 1865
Biog: Livingstone; Stanley Butler; Miss Tod; Miss Ashworth (Bath)