She greatly approves of the memorial they have sent to Mr Gladstone and wishes that all their other Committee would follow their example. Makes a suggestion for raising money through all their local committees.
Josephine Butler to the Birmingham Committee
- For more information, email the repository
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb106-3jbl/3jbl/06/18
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 106 3JBL/06/18
- Former ReferenceGB 106 3193
- Dates of Creation26 Oct 1872
- Physical Description1 item
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
'Memorial to Mr Gladstone' - Gladstone's first Cabinet was formed Dec 1868 and lasted till the beginning of 1874. JB and her supporters made much use of memorials, petitions and resolutions sent to MPs as weapons of propaganda.
(Handwriting of letter) - The writing in this letter closely resembles that of JB's but as the envelope has written on it in another hand 'Copy of a letter from Mrs Butler' we accept it pending further evidence
Biog: WE Gladstone; Fothergill (Agent)