Written from Winchester. Comments on Stuart writing in defence of examinations used judiciously. Thinks it will be difficult to keep up the Liberal spirits to the height to which the GOM raised them.
Rev George Butler to his son George
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 106 3JBL/27/35
- Former ReferenceGB 106 4148
- Dates of Creation9 Nov 1888
- Physical Description1 item
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
'It will be difficult to keep up the Liberal spirits to the height to which the GOM raised them.' The Conservatives were in power under Lord Salisbury from Jun 1885 to Aug 1892 with a brief interval in (Feb-Aug) 1886. Gladstone did not finally resign till 3 Mar 1894. Biog: WE Gladstone.