The collection comprises notes on manuscripts, heraldry and genealogical topics compiled by Sir Frederic Madden, together with a transcript of the Alliterative Morte Arthure:
- English MS 18: A transcript of a manuscript in Lincoln Cathedral of the Alliterative Morte Arthure;
- English MS 20: Six volumes of papers produced by Madden during his research on the armorial bearings of bishops;
- English MS 28: Notes on Greek manuscripts;
- English MS 29: An account of the Cockburn family of Ormiston;
- English MS 33: Notes on manuscripts preserved at Holkham Hall.