- MS 101/50;D Letter to William Speirs Bruce, 26 October 1906 [Thanks for a copy of Bruce's narrative of the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition, 1902-1904, Voyage of the Scotia (Edinburgh, 1906)] holograph
- MS 590;D Letter to J.E. Gray, British Museum, [18 September 1843] [Written from HMS Erebus, in reply to an invitation from Gray on the return of the ships to England] holograph
- MS 568/1-6;D Letters (6) to Ronald Campbell Gunn of Launceston, Van Diemans Land (Tasmania), May, July and August 1841 [From Australia during the expedition relating both to the botany of the expedition and Tasmania and to Hooker's conduct during the voyage] photocopies, holograph
- MS 248/426;D Letter to Jane Hranklin, 21 [December] 1846 [On Tasmanian flora] holograph
- MS 336;D Letter to Professor T Rupert Jones, 1875 [Informing him that the Council of the Royal Society approved the resolution of the Arctic Committee to compile a Greenland manual under Jones's editorship] holograph
- MS 1453/112;D Letter to Sir Clements Markham, 21 December 1900 [Information for the use of the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904, (leader Robert Falcon Scott) including suggestion that a captive balloon be taken] 1 leaf, holograph
- MS 100/46/8;D Notes on the proofs of the Siege of the South Pole by Hugh Robert Mill (London, Aston Rivers, 1905)
- MS 100/46/1-7;D Letters (7) to Hugh Robert Mill, 1902 to 1905 [Answering Mill's questions about the expedition, thanks for Mill's Siege of the South Pole (1905)] holograph
- MS 356/61;D Letter to Robert Neal Rudmose Brown, 9 November 1905 [Thanks for Brown's paper on the botany of Gough Island] holograph
- MS 1453/113/1-2;D Letters (2) to Robert Falcon Scott, 18 May and 17 July 1901 [Subscribing to a captive balloon for Discovery, which he had been the first to suggest (see his letter to Markham, MS 1453/112;D)] 2 leaves, holograph
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1843 - 1906
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionCirca 20 letters and notes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
General correspondence on botany and polar related topics.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by recipient.
Alternative Form Available
MS 568/1-6;D is a copy.
Location of Originals
MS 568/1-6;D Originals in Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand (in 1982)