Comprises: (1) A typescript copy of Hopkins's From the Chinese: 33 imaginary translations, dated as 'made in 1941', but anticipating publication in Derby in 1942, with a manuscript dedication to James Guthrie which includes a quotation from Goldsmith; (2) A typescript of an 8-line poem, 'The sun intended', and of an untitled 7-line poem which begins 'Consider age...'; (3) 1 autograph letter and 2 typescript letters (typed on Grasshopper Press paper) from Kenneth Hopkins to James Guthrie dated 28 April to 14 June 1943; and (4) A typescript advertisement for the Grasshopper Press, Derby, including a quotation from a poem by John Cowper Powys.
Typed poems by Kenneth Hopkins, with some correspondence with James Guthrie
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Hopkins
- Dates of Creation1942-1943
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 folder (22 ff.); manuscript and typescript. Held in the original loose-leaf folder on which is pencilled the price paid for the collection in 1974, namely 10.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Kenneth Hopkins (1914-1988), the poet, novelist, and creator of the Grasshopper Press, Derby. For fuller details of his life and achievements see The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-Century Poetry in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Myers, 25 June 1974.