The Gerald Beech Partnership Papers relate to various projects the company was involved with, particularly the erection of Bedford House Staff Club and the Wyncote Development. There are also folders relating to smaller projects at a warehouse in Gloucester Place, Abercromby Square redevelopment/railings, Staff House extension into 5 Abercromby Square, Staff House future developments, Corporation Cottage, University Air Squadron buildings at 24-26 Oxford Street, the University Chaplaincy, Tate Hall, School of Architecture and the University Naval Unit at 18 Oxford Street. These folders consist mainly of correspondence, plans and drawings, tenders, certificates for payment, invoices, reports, minutes and costings.
Papers of the Gerald Beech Partnership
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 141 D346
- Dates of Creation1959-74
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialThe material in this collection is written in English.
- Physical Description6 boxes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Gerald R. Beech studied at the University of Liverpool, gaining a diploma in Architecture with distinction (1947), a Diploma in Civic Design (1948) and the B.Arch, ex-officio (1952). He became Lecturer and Studio Instructor in Architecture at the University from 1948-68 and Senior Lecturer thereon until 1988. At this time he was also engaged in work with his practice, Gerald Beech and Partners, later known as the Gerald Beech Partnership. In 1975 he was elected chairman of the North West Regional Council of the Royal Instiute of British Architects and with his partners appeared in the list of Highly Recommended Schemes published by the Department of the Environment.
The material has been maintained in its original order and listed according to project as follows:
- D346/1: Bellis & Meek Ltd warehouse at Gloucester Place
- D346/2: Abercromby Square Redevelopment (railings)
- D346/3: Staff House: internal alterations to form extension by inclusion of the adjoining premises at no. 5 Abercromby Square
- D346/4: Staff House: Future Developments
- D346/5: School of Architecture
- D346/6: University Chaplaincy
- D346/7: Tate Hall
- D346/8: 24-26 Oxford Street (University Air Squadron)
- D346/9: Corporation Cottage, Deiniolen
- D346/10: 18 Oxford Street (University Naval Unit)
- D346/11: Wyncote Development
- D346/12: Bedford House Staff Club
Each folder is arranged chronologically, with plans often out of sequence at the front or back.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is open to bona fide researchers.
Gerald Beech Partnership, Liverpool, 20 March 1986 .
Other Finding Aids
There is a finding aid available for consultation in the reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction and licensing rules are available on request.
This material has been appraised.
There are no anticipated accruals.