Profoundly wishes he had got Beaton's letter yesterday morning. Has seldom been so impressed: Beaton is "extraordinary" and "superior". Is struck by his "fineness of character" and "fundamental tolerance". Criticism of anything he writes himself is "like a red hot iron". He couldn't say yesterday what anguish it caused him to write. Admires Beaton's determination not to be defeated. It is a great test of affection and he is very grateful. Wishes he could do more for him. All he can do it seems is "deliver a knock-out as you say between the eyes". Thanks Beaton for his remarkable letter which he will always keep.
Typescript letter signed to Beaton.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 275 Beaton/A/A1/430/27
- Dates of Creation(Letter undated.)
- Physical Description1p paper
Scope and Content