- MS 248/427;D Letter to Sophia Cracroft, 29 August 1857 [Regarding search for Franklin] holograph
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Thomas Horsfall/Correspondence
- Dates of CreationAugust 1857
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionLetter
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
In 1845 Sir John Franklin sailed north in command of the British Naval Northwest Passage Expedition. Sent by the Admiralty the two ships HMS Erebus (Franklin) and HMS Terror (Francis Crozier) were to search for a passage via Lancaster Sound. With provisions designed to last three years the expedition sailed north in May 1845. Whalers in Baffin Bay were the last Europeans to see the two ships in July of 1845.
Many searches were conducted for the missing expedition, during the course of which the main facts regarding the route taken and the final fate of the expedition were established.