Correspondence of Thomas Burgess, mainly with scholars and ecclesiastics.
Correspondence of Thomas Burgess
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.lett.c.133-40
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 133-40
- Dates of Creation1778-1837
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description8 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Thomas Burgess (1756-1837) was successively bishop of St. David's and Salisbury. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The correspondence was bought from W.I. Williams in 1949.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40934-41.
Many of the letters are printed in J.S. Harford, Life of Thomas Burgess (London, 1840).