- MS 1593;D Miscellaneous letters to Harry G. King, 1964-1992 [Regarding printing, contents and numbers of Aurora Australis in existence] holograph
- MS 1166;BJ Account, 3 January to 10 April 1976 [Visit to the Canterbury Museum, Christchurch, New Zealand] 1 volume, typescript
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Harold King/Papers
- Dates of Creation1964-1992
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description1 volume and 19 leaves
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The correspondence relates to the Aurora Australis, printed during the winter of 1908 during the British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-1909 (leader Ernest Henry Shackleton). This was the first book to be published on the Antarctic continent, edited by Shackleton and containing contributions by expedition members the material was bound in venesta boards from the expedition's packing cases.
The correspondence relates to the number of copies still in existence between 1964 and 1994, the account relates to polar manuscripts available in New Zealand in 1976.