The music and papers of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, comprising:
- music by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, including autograph manuscripts, copyists scores and vocal and instrumental parts
- music by other composers owned by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, including several works by Bach and Handel, notably the manuscript score and parts of Bach's St Matthew Passion used in the famous 1829 revival; and autograph music by Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart
- portraits and drawings of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
- drawings, mainly sketches by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, made whilst travelling in Germany, Switzerland, Scotland, North Wales and Italy, 1822-47, with some copies of drawings made by Marie Benecke, 1893-4. The sketches of the Scotch tour are accompanied by some autograph verses of Karl Klingemann
- drawings by Ccile Mendelssohn Bartholdy, including a drawing book used by Ccile before her marriage, and during her honeymoon journey in 1837
- miscellaneous papers, including notebooks used by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy as a student, [ca. 1822-7]
- diaries and accounts: pocket-books, 1829-47, containing, mostly, brief diary entries, drawings and drafts of music; diaries of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy's engagements, 1836-7; the diary of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy and Ccile on their honeymoon, 1837; and various account books, 1833-47
- libretti, words of choral works, poems etc. mid 19th century
- diplomas, 1833-48
- papers belonging to Ccile Mendelssohn Bartholdy and family, 19th century
Additional manuscripts collected by Margaret Deneke, unconnected with Mendelssohn, include autograph works by Brahms, Schubert, Schumann, Reger, and Hugo Wolf; and a letter of Joseph Haydn.
The shelfmarks of this section are as follows: MSS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn a. 1-3, b. 1-3, b. 5-12, c. 1-2, c. 4-17, c. 19-24, c. 26-30, c. 35-7, c. 39, c. 43-96, c. 98-100, d. 1-12, d. 14-17, d. 22-7, d. 54, d. 56-71, e. 1-19, f.12-10, g. 1-11, MS. Don. c. 44, MS. Don. c. 151, MS. Mus. d. 210.