- MS 1453/62;D Letter to Robert Falcon Scott, 25 October 1905 [Thanks for a copy of the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904 narrative] 1 leaf, holograph
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Robert Chalmers/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation25 October 1905
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionLetter
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904 (leader Robert Falcon Scott) undertook the first extensive exploration on land in Antarctica. Funding came from the Government, the Royal Society, the Royal Geographical Society and private donations. The expedition set up base at McMurdo Sound from where sledging parties carried out recognisance and scientific programmes.
On his return from the British Antarctic Expedition, 1901-1904 Robert Falcon Scott produced an account entitled The voyage of the Discovery.