- 160 voyage record books, 1851-1922
- 89 voyage record filing boxes, 1939-1978.
Records of Ben Line Ship Management Ltd, shipping line, Edinburgh, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 ACCN 2949
- Dates of Creation1851-1978
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description10.50 metres
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The company began in 1839 with a partnership between William and Alexander Thomson who built up routes to Europe, Canada, the far East and the Baltic. The company changed its name to Ben Line Steamers Ltd in 1919. Source http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/Ben%20Line.html
arranged into 2 series
Conditions Governing Access
Deposit : E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd : 2006 : ACCN 2949
Other Finding Aids
Box list available.
Digital file level list in preparation. To be catalogued as UGC199.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
- Boxlist of volumes completed by George Gardner, 2006.
- Boxlist of boxes completed by Elva McLean, William Bill, Jennifer Reade, Sarah Beckinsale, Susan Gentles, Archie Leitch 10 July 2007
The company holds more material in their offices.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
Filing boxes may be appraised in the future
With company, then deposited in Edinburgh University Archives. Transferred to GUAS in 2006.
Location of Originals
The material is original
No known publications using this material