- MS 979/1-3;D Letters (3) to John and Peter DeWitt and H Smith, 1801 [Regarding sealing voyage on board Aspasia]
Smith, correspondence (US Sealing Voyage)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Gilbert Smith/Correspondence (US Sealing Voyage)
- Dates of Creation1801
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionCirca 3 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
This expedition was possibly the most profitable sealing voyage undertaken to the island of South Georgia. One of around 16 separate sealing voyages made to the island during the summer months of 1800-1801 the Aspasia obtained seal pelts which were shipped to China.