The collection consists of diaries of Joseph Gwilt, 1844-60, containing architectural and topographical sketches, and miscellaneous genealogical and heraldic collections of Charles Perkins Gwilt, 1828-35.
Papers of Joseph and Charles Perkins Gwilt
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.don.e.144-54
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Don. e. 144-54
- Dates of Creation1828-60
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description11 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Joseph Gwilt (1784-1863) was an architect and archaeologist. His son, Charles Perkins Gwilt (d 1835), was an antiquarian writer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The collection was bought from B. Weinreb Ltd., through the Friends of the Bodleian, in 1984.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.