The collection comprises files compiled by Professor Parton in his capacity as an academicprofessor and researcher into electrical engineering. The bulk of the collection concerns his ownresearch, preparation of articles and publications, and papers relating to teaching. The principalcategories in the collection are as follows:
- Copies of articles and works published by Parton, 1951-1971 (PJP 1);
- Files relating to overseas trips. 1965-1970 (PJP 2);
- Files on articles, lectures and works written by Parton containing drafts, correspondence andresearch notes relating to them. 1941-1967 (PJP 3);
- Files of conference papers. 1955-1966 (PJP 4);
- Research files of a technical nature on various technical aspects of electrical engineering.1950-1971 (PJP 5);
- Files relating to the teaching of engineering at schools and colleges including Imperial College,Herriot-Watt College, and the Schools Council's 'Project Technology'. 1949-1971 (PJP 6);
- Printed items and reports compiled and written by people other than Professor Parton. 1952-1963(PJP 7).