Photograph albums, loose photographs and glass plate negatives produced by Samuel Butler. The collection comprises: images from Butler's travels in England and Europe; photographs of architecture and works of art; snapshots of Butler's friends; formal portraits of Butler's friends and acquaintances; prints and photographic reproductions of works by other artists; modern reprints of Butler's photographs, produced for exhibitions (1989-2002). A number of the images in the collection were or have since been used to illustrate Butler's art criticism and literary works, and works about Butler.
Prints and photographs, formerly the property of or relating to Samuel Butler
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 275 Butler/Section 9 (IX)
- Dates of Creation1786–2002
- Physical Description11 boxes, 5 albums, c.1700 glass negatives photograph
Scope and Content
Photograph albums and negatives catalogued, and arranged, separately.