Copy of Historia Scholastica by Peter Comestor, completed in 1469. Comprises abstracts of the Old and New Testaments with glosses from the writings of the fathers and of profane authors.
Peter Comestor's Historia Scholastica
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 222 BMSS PCOM
- Dates of Creation1469
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialLatin.
- Physical Description1 item Copy on vellum, originally bound in a 19th century binding, with front and back covers replaced. Written throughout in double columns, in a regular, clear hand. Initial capitals are illuminated in red, some being elongated.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Peter Comestor was the Dean of the Chapter of the Church of Notre-dame at Troyes, France. He later became one of the Chapter of Notre-Dame, Paris, a Chancellor of the University and then Canon of St. Victor, where he died circa 1198. Historia Scholastica is regarded as his most famous work.
Incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts
Conditions Governing Access
Open to all users.
Description compiled by Elen Wyn Simpson, November 2003.
Other Finding Aids
A typescript catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference number : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 15233
Conditions Governing Use
Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.