This subgroup contains Sixsmith's collection of printed material relating to the life and work of Carpenter, and consists of periodicals, cuttings, pamphlets and some typescript papers. It includes: general articles on his life and work; reviews of his published work and lectures; cuttings relating to the controversy initiated by M.D. O'Brien over Carpenter's essay, Homogenic Love; papers relating to Carpenter's birthdays, death, and memorials; publisher's advertisements; papers relating to book and manuscript collections; and miscellaneous references to Carpenter in other contexts. In addition, there is a large selection of Carpenter's own writings, often in their first published form; these include articles, poems, short stories and reviews.
Printed material relating to Edward Carpenter
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng Ms 1331/2
- Dates of Creation1892-1951
- Physical Description11 classes; 296 items.
Scope and Content
The material has been arranged into 11 classes, largely reflecting subject matter. Some of these are based on groupings which were evident in the material as it was found.
The classes are as follows:
- /1 Carpenter's writings
- /2 Book reviews
- /3 Papers relating to Carpenter's lectures
- /4 General articles on Carpenter's life and work
- /5 'Sage of Holmesfield' newspaper correspondence
- /6 Papers relating to Carpenter's birthday celebrations
- /7 Obituaries and related cuttings
- /8 Papers relating to anniversaries and memorials
- /9 Publishers' advertisements
- /10 Papers relating to book and manuscript collections
- /11 Miscellaneous material relating to Carpenter