Comprises the following autograph manuscripts written by Holbrook Jackson: (1) 1 vol. (191 pp.), containing an original manuscript entitled 'Bookmarkings II. 1931-1940', evidently compiled for a projected book of literary quotations. Although it appears to be only a second volume, it is quite complete in itself, with separate indexes for bibliography, subjects, and authors; (2) 1 loose-leaf folder containing an original manuscript and typescript draft of his anthology entitled 'The fall of man'/'The decadence of man', which includes some press cuttings pasted on to some of the leaves; (3) 1 folder containing manuscript and typescript text of three chapters of a book entitled 'Gentle reader - Preferences in print' by Jackson, probably written ca. 1935; and (4) 1 folder holding some loose manuscript notes and bibliographical references and including a press cutting pasted on to one leaf, apparently prepared for his publication The reading of books (1946).
Autograph manuscripts by Holbrook Jackson
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Jackson
- Dates of Creationca. 1930-1940
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description3 folders and 1 vol. held in 1 box; manuscript, typescript, and press cuttings. The manuscript text is closely written in Jackson's bold and very legible hand. Item (1) is written in a hardback notebook with a cloth covered spine and the printed inscription 'Ex libris Holbrook Jackson' pasted on to the inside front cover. Item (2) is held in a dark red blindtooled leather cover, with a printed label bearing Jackson's name and address in London pasted on to the inside front cover. Item (3) is held in a damaged blue folder, which bears on the outside front cover a small label with the words 'Gentle reader, etc.' written in ink on it. Item (4) is held in a reddish brown folder, which bears on its outside front cover two labels with the words 'Bookmanship, by Holbrook Jackson, I' and 'Published as The reading of books - 1946' written in ink on each of them respectively.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Holbrook Jackson (1874-1948), the author, editor, and editorial director of National Trade Press Ltd and of Heywood and Co. Ltd. For fuller details of his life and achievements see Who was who, Vol.4.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Bloomsbury Auction Rooms, 1 May 1992.