Comprises 13 autograph letters dated from 6 April 1832 to 9 January 1877 (all with transcripts), 3 stamped-addressed envelopes belonging to them, 3 autographs of Henry Phillips, his personal printed card containing his Birmingham address, and 1 printed theatre programme advertising one of his concerts given on Monday evening, 2 November 1874. It should be noted that the last dated letter from Phillips appears to postdate his known date of death in 1876. The bound volume includes a brief biography of Phillips which is very similar to that contained in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Letters from Henry Phillips, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 2 Phillips
- Dates of Creation1832-1877
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description13 letters (24 ff. with 20 ff. conjoined in 10 pairs), 3 envelopes, 3 autographs, 1 printed card, and 1 printed concert programme, all held in 1 envelope, manuscript and printed material. The material was formerly bound into a volume containing also transcripts of the letters, which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Henry Phillips (1801-1876), the musician. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#phillips